Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Suzy's Cake

My baking bug bit me and I just have to make something! Bf's family gave me a new oven, how can I not use it hahah. His sister moved into an apartment where the previous owner, left in her ownership, a cool full sized oven and nobody has space to give that baby a home...so I did! huahuahua

Was googling for something simple to make - yet hopefully delicious - came across this recipe. Heard many raves for Pierre Hermes' macaroons and his exquisite desserts, and have never tried them before since they are not available locally, why not try making them? This is recipe is also awfully simple to make, only makes uses of 5 ingredients. I've halved the recipe to make a 6" cake, though his original recipe makes a 9" one.

The cake is rich, dense, creamy and sinfully fudgy. The silky chocolate literally melts in your mouth. I'm sure part of the reason is due to the block of Valrhona chocolate I've just opened ceremony. I could tell the difference in the quality of the chocolate versus supermarket brands like Cadbury, or even Lindt, when I sliced the chocolate block...so creamy and smooth! I'm a total Valrhona convert now! Remember to serve it at room temperature though. Bf and I couldn't wait for the cake to come to room temperature after taking it out from the fridge, and it tasted like fudgy brownies hurhur.

Suzy's Cake (modified from Pierre Herme's Chocolate Desserts)
makes 6" cake

Ingredients:
125g dark chocolate
125g butter
100g sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
35g all purpose flour

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 180°C
2. Melt chocolate over double boil, leave it aside to cool
3. Cream butter and sugar on medium speed for about 4 mins
4. Beat in egg one at a time for 1 min
5. Reduce speed to low, pour in melted chocolate and mix until incorporated
6. Add in flour and use a spatula to fold in until just combined (Recipe says you can use a hand mixer for this step at low speed, but I prefer to do it manually in case of over mixing)
7. Pour batter into greased and sprinkled flour cake tin to bake for 26-29 mins
8. Cool cake on wire rack before transferring to fridge for 1-2h
9. Unmold cake and proffffiitttt! Serve it in room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment