Saturday, September 25, 2010

Mocha Chiffon Cake

I'm back from sunny Phuket! Lovely place packed with random cool people talking to you on the streets, asking where're you from. My first time there, and it's not going to be my last. The only crap that happened over there was my 2+year old canon camera took a dip in the Phuket sea. Being heavily reliant on my camera - I'm pretty much a trigger-happy kind of person on my camera - I was really disappointed. Good thing the SD card didn't give way so I managed to retained some pictures.

Last picture from my camera before taking a plunge into the sea -_-

Boy, I miss my oven LOL So it's going to be a stay home bake-athon for me this weekend. I'm sorry that I'm baking chiffon again as I don't have time to make notes of my baking books since my holiday so I'll just make do with a familiar recipe with minor adjustments.

Same good ol' light and cottony texture. I find that chiffon with cocoa tend to be more spongy, probably due to the higher protein content. And I like how lasting these cakes are. I placed one of them out in the open overnight and it remains fluffy and moist the next morning. I wouldn't call this a real mocha chiffon as there's no milk. Wonder if it's possible to sub water for milk in chiffon cakes. hmm.
Mocha Chiffon Cake (modified from Keiko Ishida's Okashi)
makes 3 10cm chiffon

Ingredients:
24g cake flour
8g natural cocoa powder
2 egg yolks
8g caster sugar
30g coffee, room temperature (3 tsp instant coffee for 1 cup)
24g canola oil

2 egg whites
36g caster sugar
4g corn flour

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 160°C
2. Sift flour and cocoa powder twice
3. Beat egg yolks and sugar until well mixed
4. Add coffee and canola oil to the yolk mixture and blend well
5. Add flour mixture to yolk mixture until the batter becomes sticky
6. Combine sugar and corn flour in a separate bowl
7. Beat egg whites until frothy and add half of the sugar mixture, and continue to beat
8. Slowly add in the rest of the sugar mixture and beat until egg white stiff peaks and is glossy but not dry
9. Add one third of the meringue into yolk mixture and fold in lightly
10. Pour in rest of the meringue mixture and fold until well combined
11. Pour the batter into chiffon tins and bake for 22 mins
12. Invert the chiffon tin on a wire rack and let it cool for 2h before releasing the cake for serving

1 comment:

  1. Hi
    Accidentally I found ur blog online. Love it. Thanks for sharing ur baking recipes. I love baking chiffons the most. All of ur chiffons, textures are beautiful.
    I read thru this recipe, and wondering what is the main purpose of combining sugar and corn flour together? What corn flour actually does here by combing with sugar.
    What is the outcome if combine corn flour with cake flour and pour in the same time. Is it make any different if NOT combine sugar and corn flour in this step?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete