Sunday, September 12, 2010

Soufflé Cheesecake

Today marks a milestone for me - Completed my 2nd half marathon at Army Half Marathon. Was slower by 9 mins than my first timing of 2 h 11 mins clocked at Sundown earlier on this year, but I'm still happy that I completed it given that I was running with a cough. Was still fooling around with my colleague taking jumping jack pictures after the run. But damnnnnn my knees are hurting and cracking like an old man's now =S And now I fret for my upcoming full marathon at the end of the year.

Second happy event for the day. Bf is back! Yay! Despite having laosai on the last 2 days of his trip and landing at an awkward 5+am in Singapore. He stayed up to wait for me to finish my run and came to look for me immediately. Touched :D Poor dude was always the guinea pig for my initial fail bakes, ate my numerous chilled cheesecakes till the poor fellow got so sick of it hahaha. He has told me that he'll love to try a water bath-ed one someday. So the day before his return, I prepared this. Wasn't really expecting anything from this chinese cheesecake baking book I grabbed off Popular, but it turns out great!...though ugly.

Creamy yet light and refreshing with a hint of lemon. It can easily pass off as Fiesta's light cheesecake. And all it takes is just a box of cream cheese. The recipe is a keeper. But I would suggest add a aluminum foil to prevent a burnt cracked top.
Soufflé Cheesecake (adapted from Junko Fukuda, Yasuyo Shida & Kumiko Yanase's 我爱乳酪蛋糕)
Makes 7" cake

Ingredients:
Cheesecake filling:
250g cream cheese, room temperature
60g sugar
30g unsalted butter, melted
3 egg yolks, room temperature
100ml milk, room temperature
1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp corn flour

Meringue:
3 egg whites, room temperature
30g sugar

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease a 7" (I use 6") springform pan and wrap the bottom with aluminum foil to prevent seeps from water bath
2. Whisk together cream cheese and 60g sugar until creamy and smooth
3. Pour in melted butter and mix well
4. Add egg yolks one at a time until incorporated
5. Add milk and stir until well combined
6. Add in lemon juice and blend well
7. Sift in corn flour and mix well, then strain the mixture and set aside
8. In a separate bowl, combine salt and egg whites and beat until soft peak
9. Fold in 1/3 of the meringue into strained mixture, then fold in lightly the rest of the meringue until well combined
10. Pour batter into the prepared springform pan and bake for 45~50mins in water bath
11. Let cake cool completely before chilling it for >3h in the fridge for serving

No comments:

Post a Comment